Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Flood

This morning was going to smooth to be true.

The kids and I all woke up in a great mood.  We had just finished breakfast and the boys were at the table coloring and Lauren was in her high chair coloring as I was cleaning up the kitchen.  There was no yelling or arguing.  The kids were laughing.  The TV was off.  Colors weren't flying all over the kitchen.  It was so peaceful.  

And that should have been my first clue.  

As I was finishing up dishes, I kept hearing the toilet in the kids' bathroom running.  The handle gets stuck sometimes and I kept thinking "in a minute I'll go fix that..in a minute."  

Well, a minute later (or twenty) I went to go fix the handle.  But, as soon as I stepped into the hallway, my feet splashed.  

The toilet overflowed...again.  And this is where I remembered that Sean said Nathan had stuck something down the toilet and we never looked to see if anything was in there.  

But, this time...THIS TIME...I discovered that the whole time I heard it running, it was spilling over water.  

Water in the bathroom.  Water in the hallway.  Water in the closet.  Water soaked into BOTH of the carpet in the kids' rooms.  Water EVERYWHERE.  

I grabbed every towel I could find.  I yelled for Sean to go get every towel from my bathroom.  

That was a mistake to call the kids because as soon as the boys discovered what happened, they decided it was so much fun to start splashing in the water.  

I soaked every towel in the house.  I rung them out and dried them and soaked them again.  And then again.  

I pulled out the wet-vac and started sucking up water.  I dried the towels and soaked them again.  

Using the wet-vac I worked and worked until my arms were so sore and I couldn't get anymore out of the carpet.  

I finally gave up and made plans to get the carpet shampooer from my sister-in-law tomorrow.  

Tomorrow.  Thanksgiving Day.  Oh man, I gotta start cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment